Category Archives: NVQ Assessor
The role of an NVQ Assessor is to assess and give support to those who are training to gain an NVQ. The assessor must ensure that students meet the required occupational standards needed to achieve their NVQ qualification.
To give you an idea of what’s involved when being an NVQ Assessor, below is a list of some of the activities that may be required.
NVQ Assessor Outline Tasks
An NVQ Assessor will need to………
- …plan and deliver NVQ training, NVQ courses, programmes and workshops
- …watch and provide assessment of candidates in their place of work
- …scrutinise students’ documentary evidence folders
- …orally test students on how they would deal with difficult situations
- …provide constructive criticism and feedback for when targets and standards have been missed
- …sign off the final award when all requirements are deemed to have been met
- …keep a record of students’ progress adhering to the the NVQ exam body’s requirements
- …attend sessions and seminars with other NVQ assessors
- …work closely with training personnel and students’ direct managers.
To ensure that the NVQ Assessor is carrying out the job properly, the assessor will also be assessed by both Internal and external verifiers who carry out quality checks on the work of vocational assessors and training centres.
The actual assessment work would take place both in the students’ training centre and place of work.
NVQ Assessor Entry Requirements
The following training requirements will need to be met before you can become an NVQ Assessor:
- A Level 3 Award in Assessing Competence in the Work Environment
- A Level 3 Award in Assessing Vocationally Related Achievement
- A Level 3 Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement
All of the above training courses/awards include a ‘knowledge and understanding unit’ – the Level 3 Award in Understanding the Principles and Practices of Assessment.