If you’re looking to become a fully qualified electrician in the Great Britain, then NVQ Electrical training is now a pre-requisite. In fact, to be able to call yourself fully qualified, you will need an NVQ Electrical Level 3 (or to give it it’s full name, an NVQ Level 3 in Electrotechnical Systems), or an equivalent qualification. The electrical NVQ can be taken as part of an apprenticeship or if you are already in another form of employment.
About NVQ Electrical
Depending upon the level of NVQ Electrical being taken, you will be given training and then assessed on some, or possibly all, of the following areas:
- Workplace Safety – The ability to safely undertake basic electrical tasks and to adhere to general health and safety work place regulations.
- Workplace Conduct and Handling – The ability to operate safely in your place of work and to stay compliant with any local guidelines and on-site rules, plus the safe handling of equipment and resources.
- Preparing for the installation of wiring systems and enclosures – The ability to prepare a work area for the subsequent installation of electrical systems and/or electrical equipment.
- Inspection and Testing – The preparation, inspection and testing of electrical connections and electrical systems in a safe and controlled manner.
- Maintenance – The planning and scheduling of electrical maintenance tasks
- Connecting Wire Systems – The correct way to connect wiring systems and electrical equipment so that it is compliant with the approved standards.
Electrical Training Audience
As the NVQ Electrical is a work based qualification, like all NVQs, you will need to be either working for an electrical company, be a self-employed electrician or be on a relevant apprenticeship scheme. Please note however that due to Health and Safety regulations, you will not be able to participate in NVQ Electrical training and exams if you are colour blind, due to the potential danger involved.
NVQ Electrical Levels
The following levels are available for this NVQ:
- NVQ Electrical Level 2
- NVQ Electrical Level 3